WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Women with Heart Disease, presented a set of Bennett recognition awards to the 2014 recipients of their 14th annual Wenger Awards. The Wenger Awards are presented each year in recognition of those who have set a precedent in the prevention, treatment and care of heart disease in women. The Wenger Awards are named for Nanette Kass Wenger, MD, a pioneer in women's cardiovascular disease. The Wenger Awards is the only national recognition award for those who are making extraordinary contributions to women's heart health.
For these awards, WomenHeart selected the Bennett Award design “Hearts of Fire”. These sculpture awards featured a brushed pewter finish, and were mounted on bases with personalized engraving of the WomenHeart logo, award name, award recipient, and date of presentation.
Five Wenger Awards were presented:
- Wenger Award for Public Policy: Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro (D – Connecticut)
- Wenger Award for Excellence in Public Service: Thomas R. Frieden, MD, MPG, Director, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Wenger Award for Excellence in Medical Leadership: Mary Norine Walsh, MD, FACC, Medical Director, Heart Failure and Cardiac Transplantation, St. Vincent Heart Center of Indiana
- Wenger Award for Excellence in Corporate Leadership: Burlington
- WomenHeart Visionary Award: Jackie Markham, Co-Founder of WomenHeart
These recognition trophies were presented to honorees at the 14th Annual Wenger Awards ceremony, held May 19, 2014, at the Ronald Reagan Building in Washington DC. The organization also celebrated its 15 year anniversary of being the first – and still the only – patient centered organization devoted to women's heart health. Heart disease remains the leading cause of death in women, with 1 in 3 women dying from heart disease every year. More information on WomenHeart can be found at www.womenheart.org.